Tuesday, October 21, 2008

my beach vacation :: show and tell



Our family just returned from a week's vacation to Jekyll Island on the Georgia coast and if anyone knows me, they will know just how much I love the beach! We had the most amazing weather while there (aside from a few rain showers) and the last evening I had planned for a family photo shoot on the beach.

the best thing in life to hold onto is each other!

I am not a professional photographer, but I knew that I wanted photos of my family as our children are getting older and we might not have many opportunities like this to have most of them together again. My oldest daughter unfortunately was unable to make it because she is in college and couldn't miss a week of classes to go with us. The rest of our children were on fall break from school. I searched on flickr for family beach photos and I loosely interpreted some of the ideas I got from there. I loved the way all of them turned out!

jump for joy!

Get suggestions from your kids, too. My girls had the idea for the jumping photo. I think it turned out really cute. Most of all, have fun!

We were able to get some great shots on the beach as the sun was setting and although they are not professional, they are perfect to me! As I downloaded them and began reminiscing and laughing, remembering the wonderful times we had while there, I was inspired to make myself some new jewelry. Initially, I had thought I would just make one new pendant to wear on my white/clear glass beaded necklace. But the more I looked at the photos, I couldn't choose just one. In the end, I made five, yes I said FIVE, new charms. I found some quotes that I fell in love with and put those on the back and now I can change them out as my mood changes.

collage of family beach photo pendants

If you have any of your beach photos lying around from your vacations, now is a perfect time to get them out and turn them into a treasured heirloom!

My friend Sherry and I have a business called S & S Heirloom Art and we make these beautiful pieces of jewelry and we are now having a sale where you may purchase 3 of any item and receive the 4th item free! Check out our blog and see all the details. And check back tomorrow morning bright and early when you will find more about an awesome give-away on our blog as well!

4 comments:

Katie said...

I love those family photos- such a great idea!

Kim said...

Those look awesome!!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Brooke said...

What a beautiful family you have!

;-)

Liz Harrell said...

BEAUTIFUL family photos.